Sorry for the lack of commentary on the markets of late. Life has just been so busy and it has been challenging to find time to write a thoughtful one. I am picking up my investment reading in the next few weeks in preparation for a quarterly asset allocation meeting that I have with a group of the most amazing women investors on the planet! I would love to take you on this learning journey with me. Over the next couple weeks as I come to grips on my own views I will share it on this site and link to great people and articles that I lean on for their insights.
Here is our quarterly process!
– We each are accountable for reading and summarizing the thinking of two investment guru’s. Mine are John Mauldin and Mark Faber. In total we review about 20. We fill out a common template on each person and submit it. This saves the group from having to do all the reading.
– We each have a sector of the market that we are responsible for aggregating the thinking on, layering in our own opinions, and share both with the group the day of the meeting. My area is global fixed income. We have the pundit sheets to use for reference, as well as more detailed sectoral reviews from the various investment firms.
– Each individual shares their current asset allocations and investment vehicle selections. We also have a ‘to be considered’ list that we continually review. In general we look for the most simple, cost effective way to express a view. We have a favorite EFT list that is vetted that we turn to in order to implement both long term and tactical strategies.
– We review market performance and discuss what has changed since our last meeting.
– We have a lot of discussion about all of the above.
– We come up with a consensus view and make changes to our group model portfolio.
– We personally implement whatever changes we think are appropriate.
Why this is so cool! It forces us to have discipline around the process, it leverages both the networks and the intelligence of the group, and it creates accountability for implementation.
Let the research begin!!