Today is International Women’s Day and according to Wikipedia “it is a major day of global celebration of women. In different regions the focus of the celebrations ranges from general celebration of respect, appreciation and love towards women to a celebration for women’s economic, political and social achievements.”
It is a day to be both grateful for the advancements that have been made, but also be revolutionary in our thinking about what still needs to happen. I have received countless emails ranging from the announcements of new initiatives, to wonderful reflections from thought leaders, so here is a list of 5 things to share on this very special day!
1) My friend Nic Kristoff writes on “Three Proven Steps to Advance the World’s Women, on International Women’s Day” in the New York Times. He asks himself this question – “What interventions get the most bank for the buck in raising the status of women around the world?” Read his wonderful answers but may I suggest one that does not cost a dime but indeed is an intervention – make this moment, the moment, where everyone who believes in gender equity commits to PERSONAL ACTION every day, in some way, to advance this issue. I want to suggest we adopt this phase as a slogal for the movement – EVERYDAY. IN SOME WAY.
2) I want to give a SHOUT OUT to women leaders that I am honored to know and are a huge inspiration to me. Will someone with a BIG platform please write a piece featuring them all !!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are all GAMECHANGERS.
Kamy Wicoff founder of SheWrites, Gina Bianchini co-founder of NING, Deborah Siegel ( aka Girl With Pen ), Courtney Martin – writer, Stephanie Hanbury Brown – Founder of Golden Seeds, Lisa Witter – Fenton Communications, Mia Herndon – ED of The Third Wave Foundation, Kathy LeMay – Writer, the Generosity Plan, Kayrita Anderson – Creator of A Future Not a Past, Bisi Adeleye-Fayemi – Co-Founder and Executive Director of the African Women’s Development Fund, Alexa Von Tobel – Founder of Learnvest. And there are so many more…………… I honor you all today and everyday!!!!!!!
3) The International Herald Tribune has an ongoing series called the Female Factor – (click here) Please be sure to check back regularly for the latest piece. One particular essay to read is Katrine Bennhold “Risk and Opportunity for Women in 21st Century.” Please take the time to read these articles and post comments.
4) A New MS foundation blog launched today (Click here) which will showcase the sharp writing and informed opinions of a community of feminist bloggers from around the nation and the globe.
5) The Glass Hammer is a great new site to visit regularly. It is an online community designed for women executives in financial services, law and business. Visit daily to discover issues that matter, share experiences, and plan networking, your career and your life. ( Click here ) Nicki you and your site rock!!
In closing, again on this special day, I want to thank so many women who have made such a difference to me and especially my grandmother Sadie ( age 92), my mother Rose, my sister Teri, my best buddy in Kelowna Kim, my Goldman Sisters Ann, Mary Ann, Robin, Maria, all my CFG pals, and countless friends……….. I love and thank you all.