Two blogs in one day! That is what a five hour plane ride will do! My brilliant writer friend Courtney Martin just sent me her latest article in the American Prospect. (click here )This is a must read! Courtney talks about some of the reasons for the lack of diversity in the field of architecture, and there are definite parallels to our findings in the financial arenas. She refers readers to this TOOLKIT for those striving for greater diversity and it is very good. (highlights below) Thanks Courtney for such a great piece.
1. Look for a leadership champion. This should be a respected individual(s) at a senior level to champion diversity and inclusion.
2. Create a diversity statement and communicate the organizational views on diversity.
3. Communicate your diversity statement to clients
4. Provide ongoing diversity awareness training to all employees.
5. Start up a multi-cultural affinity group.
6. Implement cultural awareness days.
7. Invite individuals from local community groups to participate in lunch – n – learns to talk about their cultural traditions.
8. Recognize diverse holidays by posting diversity calendars on line or making them available to your employees.